Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sunflowers and Squash

Today we transplanted some of our squash and sunflower seeds into big containers. Yard space is limited so we do a lot of container planting. Since we lost a lot of our privacy trees during the two back-to-back blizzards that hit DC in February, I'm hoping that the sunflowers give us a little privacy...or at least make it difficult to stare right onto the deck while I'm taking pictures of my plants. These are leftover seeds from last year. They did grow pretty tall--taller than Matt, whose 6'! And the best part about sunflowers--they are butterfly and bee magnets! And butterflies and bees are pollinators, so grow, grow, grow little seedlings!!!

The big pots contain giant sunflowers (leftover seeds from last year). The yellow crookneck squash is going in the two blue containers.


yellow squash seedlings


everyone gets a drink


We may thin these sunflower plants out, we'll just wait and see how they grow. If they're clumped together it may act like a fence. That's citronella in the background.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure those Sunflowers are going to be gorgeous in those pots..I can't wait to see how it goes..

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment about the garden accents.. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! we're also going to plant some red sunflowers. I hope they turn out nicely!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!