Monday, April 18, 2011

Weekend in the Garden: Chores I Didn't Do


On Friday I made the following Weekend Garden To-Do list:
  1. Plant seeds
  2. Weed backyard
  3. Trim back ivy bursting through the fence 
This is what the list looks like Monday morning:
  1. Plant seeds
  2. Weed backyard
  3. Trim back ivy bursting through the fence
I planted a couple of tomato seeds sent to me by the very kind Emily. They are Tiny Tim and Oregon Spring varieties, and I can't wait to see what these tomatoes look and taste like. So Chore #1--check!

Now about #2 and #3: they didn't get completely done. In my defense, it rained buckets on Saturday. I'm talking destructive thunderstorms experienced up and down the east coast, making it the perfect lazy Saturday. (Side note: I secretly like rainy weekends sometimes. It makes me feel OK about not getting all my outside chores done).

Sunday was beautiful--sunny, breezy, and cool--and I decided that was the day to get to work in the yard. But the ground was still saturated from the Saturday rains. I couldn't walk behind the fence to get to the ivy without stepping in a puddle, so I decided to let that chore go until next weekend.


Our backyard is small, and much to my chagrin, full of weeds of right now. The benefit to the soggy ground was that I was able to yank some of the dandelions out by the roots just by tugging slightly on the flower. As a kid I used to love dandelions. My friends and I would take dandelions and clover and make chain necklaces and tiaras out of them. I had no idea then that they were regarded as a vile weed. Now I know better. That's why #2 is only half crossed out. I didn't get all the weeds out. That, too, is a chore for next weekend.

Also, I have new hobby as of two weeks ago--knitting! I've learned that rainy Saturdays are perfect for practicing knits and purls and trying to learn how to read patterns.

3 comments:

  1. congratulations on learning to knit! a thunderstormy weekend with a good knitting project can't be beat. did you eat any of the dandelions you pulled? i'm about to start collecting the flowers to make jelly.

    awesome about the tomato seeds! i'm not growing any oregon spring this year but i do have about four tiny tims going--they seem to grow a bit slower than most larger tomato plants, but they stay very compact and bushy and attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you got half of the list accomplished, so I think that is good cause for celebration. :) Enjoy knitting! I love to knit, too, but haven't done it in a long time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both! Knitting is fun, very challenging right now, but it feels good to do something with my hands other than typing.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!