Monday, November 7, 2011

30 Day Thanksgiving Challenge - Days 2 - 5

"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." - Albert Camus


Once again I'm linking up with The Whimsical Gardener's 30 Day Thanksgiving Challenge (albeit a few days behind, so I'm combining days).  I'm thankful that I live in a part of the country that experiences the four seasons. Autumn is my favorite season. As much as I love seeing color in my summer garden, nothing rivals the bright reds, yellows, and oranges of the changing leaves. I love the quote above by Albert Camus--autumn really is like a second spring!

{picture of Walden Pond in autumn via New England Travel Planner}

I always associate autumn with New England. I lived in Boston for a few years when I was in school, and autumn there is beautiful--the colors just seem more vibrant than they are here in DC. When I lived there, I made a few trips to Walden Pond in Concord, MA, where Henry David Thoreau lived for a couple of years, and his experience was the inspiration for the book Walden. Although this park gets a lot of warm weather visitors, to me it is synonymous with the peace and tranquility of autumn, when everything starts to slow down a bit and you can appreciate nature from a different perspective.

I'm thankful for moments like this. In the technological world we live in, it's nice that there are still places to go where you can remove yourself from everything except nature, whether that's at a park or in your own garden.

{top picture: Thoreau's house on Walden Pond; bottom picture: view of Walden Pond from his house, both via New England Travel Planner}


I'm also thankful that I was able to visit Walden Pond, a place that I had read about and wondered about when I was younger, and I'm thankful that I've had the opportunity to live in many different places (though I don't miss New England winters!)

{p.s. For any literature/trivia buffs, Louisa May Alcott knew Thoreau and wrote Little Women while living in Concord}

7 comments:

  1. Interesting about Louisa May Alcott...didn't know that little bit of trivia!

    I like the point you make about seeing everything from a different perspective in fall. I think that is part of why the TED video spoke to me so clearly about slowing down and being thankful...this is a great time of year for that and I didn't want to miss the opportunity.

    Funny how everything is relative! I grew up in DC (Alexandria) and really miss the distinct seasons...especially fall. We don't get much of a fall here. I have to really search it out and it is so brief as summer is so long. NE looks charming (at least until winter hits!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember flying into Washington DC at the end of October a few years back. The autumn colour was so rich. Addedtothat it was Hallowean and many of the homes in Chrlottesville were decorated for the festivities. It was magic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cat--Thanks for the thoughtful comment. I agree that it's a perfect time of year to slow down and am glad you initiated the challenge! Having lived in FL where the only seasons are hot and less hot, I totally understand how you feel about seeking out Fall. :)

    @Janet--Charlottesville is pretty but I've never thought to make a trip in autumn. Thanks for giving me a good idea for a future road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah-hh-h...Walden Pond. I have always wanted to visit this lovely place...perhaps someday. At least I can see some of the images through your excellent photos! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful color. Loved the pics from Walden Pond!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Camus quote. It interesting to learn how writers traveled in the same circles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a peaceful place. How cool that you had a chance to visit. Scout and Genie are my permanent fosters. I can't adopt them for a variety of resons but they aren't available for adoption. Scout has adjusted to his blindness really well and can even go on trips to local stores. He just rides around in the cart! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!