Monday, March 5, 2012

Lazy Garden Weekend

I didn't do much in the garden over the weekend. I meant to start some tomato and pepper seeds but didn't quite get around to it. Maybe next weekend...In the next week or two, once the temperatures aren't fluctuating so much, I also plan to start potatoes!! My husband built me a box to grow them in, inspired by the different ways to grow potatoes that I posted about here. I'll post more about that once I actually start those tubers. 

My outside activity consisted mainly of watching a woodpecker scare the little finches away from my neighbors' birdfeeder and trying unsuccessfully to get a good picture of the many robins hopping around, trying to catch seeds that spill from the feeder. 

In non-garden news, I managed to make my first batch of refried beans.



In typical March fashion, temperatures are ranging from the 60s during the nice sunny days to dropping to around freezing at night. Temperatures grew chilly last night so we moved our broccoli transplants inside for protection. 

Did you get any garden work done this weekend?

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely no gardening even though it warmed on Saturday it was boggy everywhere in the garden and Sunday was snowy and cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool potato box! and your broccoli is looking great. i didn't do much actual garden work this weekend, but i did get a new garden!

    it's nice and warm here too--64 yesterday and it might get close to 70 today. so much for winter ever happening this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a flock of robins come through recently. There must have been over a hundred. I tried to get some photos, but not one was really good. Birds are always a challenge. I didn't get much done in the garden this weekend, but I did buy new patio furniture. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your potato box - very cool idea! You are going to have lots of spuds in there. We just got some heavy snow so the only gardening has been starting seeds indoors. But temps should warm up soon and I'm already sharpening my spade...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like your potato box. I have been experimenting with different methods of growing potatoes this year. It has been a lot of fun. I do think they are the most fun veg to grow purely for the digging them up at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like your potato box. I have been experimenting with different methods of growing potatoes this year. It has been a lot of fun. I do think they are the most fun veg to grow purely for the digging them up at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must be nice to have 60s--we're just giddy about the 50s we'll have for the next two days. Enjoy the warmth...and the refried beans! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!