Monday, March 12, 2012

Quote of the Day: Charles Dickens

It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold:  when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.  ~Charles Dickens, Great Expectations




This quote sums up the month of March perfectly, at least around these parts. That's exactly how it felt around here on Saturday--freezing in the shade, but warm and cozy in the sun. Sunday was better, not as windy or chilly, but still sunny. On Sunday I ventured out to do some garden chores: trimming back the ivy near the fish pond, weeding, seed starting.  But I didn't do any of it.  I blame my lethargic attitude on my allergies. I know when spring has arrived because I spend most of my waking hours sneezing and itching.


I did check on the few plants I do have. The broccoli transplants are doing OK, but the containers where I started spinach and lettuce seeds a couple of weeks ago are still empty. I saw one little lettuce seedling coming out, but it was so small that it wasn't worth photographing. There is a seedling in the spinach container, but I don't know if it's spinach or a weed. I've been waiting for spring to get here, and now that's it's practically here, I just don't feel like doing anything. :( 



9 comments:

  1. We've had a few days like that Dickens quote here recently. Its been quite cool for Autumn - but its about to warm up again so I'm more than happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I certainly agree. The quote sounds just about right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems too soon for me...I don't find blooms until early April and it is 3 weeks ahead this year...I do love that Dickens' quote

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a nice coincidence, but I used that same quote in my post for today. I think it sums up March so well... My broccoli is beginning to bolt because we have had such unseasonably warm temperatures, but I have planted some peas and spinach. Good luck with your allergies...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a great quote! Usually it would describe April perfectly for us, but this year even March feels like late May. 79 on Wednesday will break a record for sure! Take care of yourself with those allergies--sounds like people around here are suffering earlier than usual, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quote! I'd not heard it before today. I hope you find some relief from the allergies soon and that you'll feel like gardening again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a gardener, I think allergies would be awful! How frustrating, especiallly in the spring! Spring here has left winter far behind, and I'm afraid we will be looking at a long hot summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Allergies and wind make it hard to get going. Out of four egg cartons of seeds that I started only one germinated. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charles Dickens captures is perfectly. My spinach is coming up and I am so glad...hope you feel better with your allergies.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!