Tuesday, May 29, 2012

First Tomato of the Season!


chocolate cherry 5-26, originally uploaded by Bumble Lush.

Husband and I spent the holiday weekend in Charlottesville, VA, continuing our self-directed American History tour (will post about that getaway later), but before we left, I noticed that one of the tomato plants has fruit. Two cute little tomatoes have formed on the chocolate cherry tomato plant. We've never grown this type before, and I'm looking forward to tasting them.

I've been taking pictures of most of my veggie plants every week to follow their progress, but sometimes things seem to happen overnight. The weekend was hot, sunny, and humid, and I think the plants loved it. When we came back last night (we were only gone two days), so many of the tomato plants had doubled in size. I can't wait to see how things continue to grow. Maybe my veggie garden this year won't be a total loss.

I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend!

17 comments:

  1. Ooh, I am terribly jealous! :-) Some of my tomatoes are flowering, but no little green nubbins yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only one teeny nubbin! :) I'm a bit further south than you are too. I'm anxiously waiting for more flowers on the tomato plants....

      Delete
  2. Oo won't be long now before you are tasting tomatoey delights - no sign of any on my plants yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, i'm sure it won't be long for yours either!

      Delete
  3. That is so fun. I love love watching the tomatoes (or any veg) start forming and developing. Hip hip hooray for your tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! In the last 2-3 days I've seen more flowers popping up.

      Delete
  4. Mmm, sounds yummy. I can't believe you have tomatoes already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just little tomato babies. I'm anxious for the others to get moving too

      Delete
  5. Oh that is exciting. I'm just in the process of thinking about which varieties to sow this year. They are just such an exciting plant to grow aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so! Ther'es nothing like that distinct tomato plant smell.

      Delete
  6. hooray tomato babies! chocolate cherry is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never grown it before--can't wait to taste them!

      Delete
  7. It's always exciting to see new fruits. We've been getting a few every three days or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Loretta! Pretty soon you'll be rolling in them too. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, I can't believe you have tomatoes already. I live west of DC, approximately 1 1/2. I'm just putting my garden in. Your strawberries look delicious. I'm thinking about putting in strawberry beds next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just got my sprouts planted this weekend...we are always later here...I love the choc cherry tomatoes...one of my favs...can't wait to see the trip post!! I am hoping for a good veggie garden this year too...loving your tomatoes...looking good.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!