Friday, July 20, 2012

Bush Bean Comparison


two bean plants
We're growing two different kinds of bush beans this year: Burpee Bush Lake and Ferry Morse Bush Contender. We've grown both varieties before but couldn't remember if one produced more than the other, so we decided to do a test this year. Which variety will produce more beans?

Both types of beans were planted on the same day in the same type/size/shape of container with the same type of soil and amendments. They are side by side on the deck and get the same amount of sun. (Ferry Morse is pictured closest to the front).

bean flowers ferry morse 6-30
So far the plants are the same size, but Ferry Morse has these beautiful lavender flowers, while Burpee has white ones. I like the purple blossoms better.

Untitled
Untitled
Ferry Morse has already produced a handful of beans. A couple of weeks ago I harvested about 1/2  ounce of beans. It's not much, but Burpee doesn't have any beans yet. It's still early in the season, though. Which one will produce more? Will they be the same size? Which will taste better? I'll be keeping track to see which one finishes strong.

Do you grow beans? Which varieties do you recommend?


8 comments:

  1. I will be waiting to see which does best and I love the purple flowers...i am growing Renee's Tricolor Bush Beans...Golden Roc d'Or, Purple Queen, Green Slenderette...They are doing weel and have been producing a bit of beans ove the last week...now they seem to be producing lots more...actually I need to get out and harvest them...they are yummy too

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bush beans or french beans as we call them have been a total disaster this year and the slugs haven't helped - at least you are getting a harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice of you to do this comparison and share your results! I will pass along your results to my friend, I am too shady for vegetables, but she has a big garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angella... your beans are looking really lush! My ring beans a.k.a french beans is bearing beans in ones and twos too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those purple blossom ones. I am growing Burpee Bush Lake, too. They have lots of (white)flowers but no beans yet. I look forward to seeing your results. P.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those purple blossom ones. I am growing Burpee Bush Lake, too. They have lots of (white)flowers but no beans yet. I look forward to seeing your results. P.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't grow bean but they would be a fun addition to the NanoFarm next year. I'm very curious to see how yours turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed at all the harvesting you've done throughout your garden. Maybe beans will make it on the list for next year's veggie garden for me.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for stopping by my garden site. I appreciate the time it takes to read posts and comment. Happy Gardening!